Monday, April 26, 2010

A Strange Day

So, today was the day part of me never believed would really happen. I'm still not sure I believe it. He'll be home from his scout camp-out any minute, right? He better be home soon, he's got school tomorrow.

But no. I drove back to the cemetary only a couple hours after we left him there just to make sure he was tucked in OK. Of course he was. I left a piece of my heart there (the big piece that fell out a week ago and I have been carrying on my sleeve.) It really felt wrong to leave him there.

I am not sure how I feel right now. Tired. Ready to wake up from this nightmare, that's for sure.

I must have thanked hundreds of people for coming today. It must have sounded trite, but I meant it from the bottom of my heart. The only thing that has helped even a little is having the support (written as well as physical) of friends and family. Really, truly. Thank you for being there for us.

8 comments:

DaBlairs said...

I love what was said today at the funeral. "We can't really know happiness without knowing the sadness." As I was thinking about today I could picture the meeting later on with Cams bounding down the path to guide you to paradise. He will be so excited to show you everything he knows about the place. Such sadness today will make that joy exquisite. Hang in there...We love you.

Unknown said...

It was a beautiful funeral and I found it very uplifting to hear you both speak about your son in the manner you did, open and honestly. Through your stories and your speeches I for one got to know a lovely young man. Thanks so much for having the strength to share them with all of us. B. Khan

Heidi Gail Richhart said...

You know i do not know you or your son. But, i read his obituary in Sunday's paper. And from what i read about him and about all of you as a family on this blog. What a loving and beautiful young man and family. My heart is with all of you and you all are in my prayers and i feel for you. Stay close to your father in heaven and eachother as a family and our father in heaven will comfort you and bless you in these coming days, hours, weeks and months and beyond.

Anonymous said...

I cannot even imagine what you are all going through right now. You have been in my prayers and I hope that you have felt the love I have been sending your way. I dont know you and you dont know me but I do love you want you to know that I am thinking about and praying for you. I am a hug person, when someone is happy I give them a hug, when someone is sad I give them a hug and when someone is hurting I give them a hug. Like I said you don't know me but I am sending deep and sincere hugs to each of you and hope that you can somehow feel that in the moments you need it. I admire your strength. Thank you. I wish the best for you!

Rachel Doyle said...

I don't personally know you, but I read Cameron's obituary and stopped by to get to know him a little better. I too have buried my own first born son, his death was completely different, but I image that we share some of the same feelings. I also am a therapist who used to work in drug rehab. I want you to know how thankful I am that you were so honest in the way he died. So many people don't understand or want to understand how serious drugs can be. I hope you feel the love of our Father in Heaven during this time of mourning. Sincerely, Rachel Doyle

Unknown said...

Kristie and family I have heard so many wonderful things about Cameron's funeral and just wanted you to know that my thoughts and prayers have been with you since I heard about your situation last week. You will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers, and I want to thank you for sharing with me and others your thoughts. Cameron seems like such a sweet boy who has such an amazing and strong family.
Love- Jena Jones (CNA @ Kristie's work)

Angela Strong said...

I have thought about you and your sweet family every day since I read about Cameron's death. I cannot begin to imagine what you have been going through. As a mother...I look at my children and hope for all great things....and realize that free agency is such a catch 22. I appreciate so much your honesty throughout this situation. Cameron's life will continue to bless others because of your willingness to share his story and your feelings. I have talked to my children about what happened....and although they are only 11,8, 6, and 4....I pray that through others may come and understanding and a teaching moment. I will continue to pray for you and your family through this difficult time. May the Lord bless and keep all of you.

Emily Earnhart said...

Dear Earnhart Family,
This is Emily, Dave's oldest daughter. I just wanted to let you know that I am truly saddened by your loss and I am praying that Heavenly Father will send his comfort to you. We may not know each other well, but we are family and I ache for you. I love you and I know Heavenly Father loves you. May his blessings pour out upon you.
Love,
Emily Earnhart
coppertop_87@hotmail.com