Monday, April 19, 2010

More News

Cameron did well overnight. His blood pressures are good. They are weaning the vaso-pressers (medicine to keep his blood pressures up.) He is still fevering, currently 38.5 (101.5 ish), still on the cooling blanket. His lungs are improving, he is not needing as much oxygen (fiO2 45%) and his blood saturation is high nineties. (That is good.)
But the other part of it, the more significant part of it, is that his neuro exam is still extremely poor. Still no gag reflex (very bad) and no coronary reflex (also very bad.) He is NOT sedated, but still responds to nothing.
I also found out this morning that my suspicions were correct. It seems he suffered a heart attack during the time his oxygen was low (probably before I found him.) For those that know and understand, his troponins have been >50 and now 47. (Normal is <.02) They will do another ultrasound of his heart today and keep monitoring his troponins. (Troponin is a heart enzyme. High levels indicate heart damage.)
I still need to speak to the physician in detail this morning, but I highly suspect we will be turing everything off today or tomorrow. Just a guess, but I'll keep you posted.

No comments: