Saturday, April 24, 2010

Cam

Kristie and I took my parents to the mortuary today to see Cam. They were unable to fly out from Louisiana (where they are on a mission) in time to see Cam at the hospital. He looks absolutely peaceful. It is a stark contrast to the usual vivacious and lively boy that we all knew. Of course, he doesn't look quite the same. But, all in all, Darren did a wonderful job. It was epecially nice to know that Cam was in the hands of a friend.

You guys, our little boy filled up the whole damn casket. Being with him this week has slowed time down to a crawl, and yet this week and the last 16 years has gone by like Cameron running through the kitchen. As we prepare some memories of Cam, we get to relive many experiences that maybe we would have otherwise forgotton. Like the day he broke his femur (he was 6). That was a day that also lives in infamy. We remember his determination.......not to get up and walk around around after his surgery. We told him that the Dr. wanted him to get up once in a while and walk around to get his leg exercised. As we tried to help him set on the side of the hospital bed and then stand, he yelled as loud as he could, "I'M NOT DOIN THAT!" It was one of those things that is both the saddest thing in the world and makes you completely lose it laughing.

As we remember the time with Cam it is both sad and happy. We will miss him, especially the little idiosyncracies that made him who he was. I guess we should learn to love the little things that bug us most about each other because it seems that those might be the things we would miss the most.

Cam is wearing the leather jacket that his thoughful Mom got him for Christmas. Cam didn't ask for a jacket because he already had one he found at our stake clothing swap. Now, keep in mind the old one was fake leather (vinyl) and had rips and tears everywhere and needed to be sent to space. He didn't care, he loved it anyway. But, Mom thought it needed replaced so she shopped long and hard to get one that would fit into our Christmas budget. She was successful and found a jacket that became inseparable from Cam. He is also wearing the pink tie that I found him for the Sweeheart's Dance with Page. Now, it is a little bright because I don't know baby pink from fuschia but Cameron wore it every time he wanted to dress to impress. Also, you won't be able to see, but he is wearing his skater shoes that we tripped over every night somewhere in the house.

It isn't getting any easier but we feel loved and supported by you all. Thanks again.

7 comments:

The House that James Built said...

we've been hospital parents for the last year and spent months at primarys.what great people that work and love our children. i am so sorry more couldn't be done for him. i've lost many friends to od's and so much more needs to be done to help these young kids and control these harmful substances .cam looks like a wonderful, happy, bright, vibrante kid and am sure he is at peace watching over your family. turn his tragedy into life saving abilities for others as you said you plan to do at his high school...bravo to you parents.our dear friend and mayor of murray has done a lot for the cause as he lost his son denver, my friend of 25 years to an accidental od as well. all my love and prayers for your family. lizzie badger
liverforlulu.blogspot.com

Cammee said...

I've read back through your blog a little and it is like reliving my own nightmare. I lost my brother to drug addiction last year, an accidental overdose as well. Cam and my brother sound alike in so many ways, we even called him a gentle giant! I am so sorry for your loss. I wish I could tell you it gets better, but that's just not true. However, you do learn how to deal with it.

Thank you for being open and honest about the way Cam passed. We felt it was important, too. Hopefully others can use these beautiful children as examples to stay away from this evil temptation. My thoughts and prayers are with your family during this oh, so difficult time.

The Wright's said...

I read about your son's death in the paper. My heart aches for your family even though we have never met. I appreciate your honesty about his situation and admire your strength. What a tragic ending to a beautiful life. I want you all to know that I am thinking of you and praying that you can find peace. May God be with you in this terrible time.

Barbi and Jodi said...

I have read through your blog and I am amazed at the strength you two have shown during this horrible time...I am sorry for your loss and I know you will miss your gentle giant every second of the rest of your life!! It is so scary to know that there is so much out there that as parents we cannot protect our children from. Please know that you are great parents and tried all you could to teach him right from wrong and that he just made a split second bad decision. I am sure he knew how much you loved him and that he loved you. I am sure you will see him again someday and until then he is watching over your family. God Bless and comfort you at this time and in the future.

Amanda Schroeder said...

It's probably kind of weird hearing that I look at your blog all the time and don't even know you guys! I love reading your blog! I was looking through the obituaries today and saw your son's picture. It broke my heart! It's crazy to think a kid two years younger than me can be gone in such short time. We all know it happened for a reason, and he has a purpose up there to fill. I've had many experiences like these where I sit and pray my heart out every night praying that they will make it! This is not the end, and you WILL see him again. It's crazy to think you can be such a big part of someone's life when you don't even know them.
Thank you so much for helping me out with everything!
I will keep your family in my prayers.

Kara said...

I found your blog through Cam's obit, I am so sorry for your loss. Our family has suffered a loss like this several years ago and my cousin is often on the news trying to fight back. You will be in our hearts and prayers. Thanks for being so brave and posting your story. It couldn't of been easy for you.
With love!

Unknown said...

Thank you for linking your blog on Cameron's obituary. I was hoping to be able to find a way to let you know we are thinking of you. We are sorry to hear about your loss, but thankful for the chance to have spent a little time with you and your cute family in Legacy Ranch. Your family is in our thoughts and prayers during this time. We adore your family and know your reunion with Cameron will be sweet. He is a great kid, as are all of your girls.
Best wishes,

Robbie and Melinda Woods
ps. We are sorry we will miss the funeral. It would have been nice to see Fran and Vince and give you all a squeeze.