I feel that at this time it is appropriate to tell you all of some feelings I have about what took Cameron. For whatever reason, physiological, psychological, or social, Cam was drawn toward artificial joy and temporary highs. Over the last year he took pills of many kinds, he smoked marijuana, he tried cocaine and mushrooms. We talked many times about the reasons he did it. It was to forget hard times, it was to escape reality, and it was to feel good. But, we also talked about the dangers associated with drug use. Cameron did not want to hurt himself or take his own life. He started talking about how hard it was going to be this spring because the price of pills and such would go down. Why? We're not sure, but he was really worried that he could afford to buy some of the things he craved. Well, that being said, we felt he had truly reached a milestone with sobriety. He asked if he could stay the night with a friend. It was a friend that we trusted because he did not use with this friend and his parents were home with them. Cameron, being who he was, somehow found a way to get his hands on some Marijuana, Alchohol, and Pills.
I think it was his loyalty to friends (good and evil) and the desire to please that kept him from resisting those temptations. It seemed to be that he succombed to the urge to smoke marijuana first. Once Cameron has given into one temptation, he lets it snowball from there. We tried to teach him that even though you make one mistake doesn't mean you have to keep making them. Just because you sip rotton milk doesn't mean your whole day is spoiled.
I picked Cam up from his friend's house. He had lied about coming home and I was furious that he had not been answering his phone and not been responsible enough to check in (he had Saturday jobs to do). When he got into the car, I just felt that I had to calm down before sentencing. Well, we went to my store to finish up some work. I snagged his phone before he could erase his text history. Instead of starting in on Cam, I reviewed his texts. He had been up to no good, but after seeing the horror on his face I suddenly felt that he was already regretting his actions.
I will never tell myself I should have done something different or really lit into the kid. But, at that time I just told him that we had taught him make good choices and that he would have consequences, good or bad. Kristie came into the store on the way home from work, we spent a few minutes all together and they left for home. No hard feelings, no argument.
At home, Cameron spent a little time doing jobs he was supposed to have done earlier. He was in a decent mood and we all headed to bed at about 11:00. I checked on him at about 11:30 because I heard voices from his room. For some reason, Courtney was just shooting the breeze with Cam (Courtney told us later that she didn't know why but felt that she needed to talk to Cam). I sent her back to bed and told cam good night. We found him about 8:30 Sunday morning and you know the rest.
Here is what everyone should understand: From talking with everyone we could about the previous day, we deducted that Cameron had taken One Pill! We think it was an 80mg dose of Oxycontin. He had texted a friend about 1:50am that he was high on Oxycontin and couldn't see straight or hear right. Cam did not know what he had. 80mg of Oxycontin taken by someone that has no tolerance for the drug is going to be fatal.
Friends of Cam, Teenagers, Students, and everyone else............ONE PILL TOOK MY BOY!
Please let this be a wake up call to anyone messing around with any drug. The reality is that Cameron knew that the highs were temporary. You can deal with anything if you let those who care about you in.
Cameron's DAD
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Dear Earnhart Family,
I read your beautiful son's obituary yesterday and you have been in my thoughts and prayers ever since as you now find yourselves living every parent's worst nightmare. I read recently that the death of a child is
characterized as a catastrophic loss and I think that sums it up pretty well. Although we have never met I understand the horrendous pain of losing a precious child. My sweet son Josh passed away 3 1/2 years ago after battling a very powerful addiction to prescription drugs that began when his doctor prescribed Oxycontin for a back injury. To say that we will never be the same would be an understatement.
I would like to thank you for having the courage to speak out and share what took Cameron from you much too soon. Sadly, Cameron now joins the list of several other young people I know who died from just one pill. When you are ready to go out and share your son's tragedy with others I know that you will save lives. Your son's death will not be in vain. I spend quite a lot of time speaking at the U, BYU, many high schools throughout the valley, church groups, parents support groups etc sharing my son's story. It is a way that I not only help educate people but I also am honoring my son at the same time. I belong to a national advocacy group and we are working very hard to get Oxycontin banned. We have testified at several FDA meetings in DC and continue to ask them, "how many more precious lives must be lost before something is finally done?" The addiction and death toll continues to mount at an alarming
rate as more and more of our precious loved ones are stolen away. I also spend a lot time meeting and talking with other parents who have lost a child to prescription drugs or who is battling addiction. If you would be interested in talking at some point please let me know and I will be happy to share with you the valuable resources that I have
found and things that have helped me along my grief journey. One thing
I tell newly grieved parents is that the intensity of their grief will begin to soften with time. I wish I could say that it goes away but it doesn't. A very wise friend of mine who also lost his son to just one Oxycontin, says that you never get over the death of a child but somehow you learn to live with it.
I am including several websites that you can visit when you are ready, including my son's
memorial website. Please remember that you are not alone.
Take care,
Sandra Kresser
Salt Lake City, UT
sskresser@aol.com
www.banoxycontin.com
www.oxyabusekills.com
www.prescriptionaddictionradio.com
www.joshy.memory-of.com
I read this story months ago, and I can't stop thinking about your son. You don't know me, but a neighbor of yours is an old friend.
I just found out that the mysterious death of my 27 year old brother in law was caused by him taking a dose of Lortab 10. He didn't know what he had, he had no idea that it was that powerful. He just wanted to cure a migraine that he had, and someone, thinking they could help gave it to him. 1 killed him.
I wish there was a way to have prevented your son's death and my brother in law's death. It is so tradgic. Education is the only tool, and your blog is doing just that. Thank you for your story. I pray that your family is at peace.
Post a Comment